Friday, April 6, 2007

Heroes and wine

~There are times when my fellow man makes me want to be a unicorn rather than a human. One of those times just came up this morning and it goes by the name Six Heroes.
~Some fellow who goes by the name and title George Bacon, Proprietor and Vintner, offers a wine he calls Six Heroes. He calls the wine Memorial Merlot and claims it is from hand-picked grapes and that the wine ages in French oak barrels for 13 months.
~On their own, those qualifications mean absolutely nothing, except that they are a method of wine production; without knowing anything about this company, they certainly don’t justify paying $30 a bottle for the unknown wine.
~The other claim made is that purchase of two to six bottles of this wine benefits the Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes. Nice thought, but where’s the documentation—where’s the proof that this is not a scam? The proof offered on the Web site simply isn’t enough for me.
~The overall name of the company is Friar’s Choice, so I went to the Web site for that winery. All that is on the site are two wines and the same statement I’ve read on another Web site about how Friar’s Choice has partnered with the Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes, blah, blah, blah.
~I’m sorry, but I find the whole thing disturbing.
~If I want to donate $30 to the Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes, I would send them $30.
~If I want a wine worth $30, I would buy a wine worth $30.
~I don’t think the two have much of a relationship, but even if they do have a relationship, I still want to know if the wine is worth $30; for that answer I want to read the label and I certainly want to find out more about the winery and the winemaker.
~On the plus side, the polo shirt with the Six Heroes logo might be nice to have—I wonder how many months that had been aged in oak.
Check out the Web sites and see for yourself, but keep your hands on your wallet.

Six, Friar's, Coalition,


Copyright, Thomas Pellechia
April, 2007. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment